Is your Internet disconnects when downloading large files?
If your answer is YES then look no further as we have come up with a guide explaining what causes this frustrating issue and how to fix it in 2022.
Since this error often occurs while downloading large files, a lot of people are having a hard time downloading their favourite movies, TV shows, Software and other materials.
Not always but sometimes when we start downloading a large file at our home or office, our internet gets automatically disconnected.
If your internet is disconnected while downloading large files then you must be looking for a possible fix.
Since the number of users having this problem has increased significantly lately, I decided to create a guide explaining multiple ways to fix the Internet disconnects when downloading large files issue.
Whenever you attempt to download a large file, you will see a yellow exclamation mark appearing on your Wifi icon, indicating that you no longer have internet access.
If you are having the same issue right and want to get it fixed then you will have to keep reading this guide till the end.
Without any further ado, let’s get started:
- How to Fix Internet Disconnects When Downloading Large Files?
- Check Cables On Your Router & Devices
- Use Download Manager
- Use Torrent Files
- Opt For Mirror Sites
- Reboot Your Modem, Router & PC
- Use A Server That Has Better Response Time
- Update Modem’s Firmware
- Flush DNS On Your Router And Renew Your IP Address
- Use A Wired Ethernet Connection
- Use VPN When downloading Large Files
- Uninstall/Reinstall The Drivers
How to Fix Internet Disconnects When Downloading Large Files?
Whenever you attempt to download a large file on your PC, you are actually not downloading one big file.
The big file that you are trying to download on your PC consist of thousands of Packets.
Since these packets are huge in size, sometimes they don’t reach their destination due to numerous reasons, including high CPU usage, software bugs, network congestion and security threats.
Since a large file contains tons of packets, sometimes some of them get lost, making it difficult for users to download a large file from their favourite website.
For the unversed, the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) adjusts lost packets but when the number of lost packets increases tremendously, you will have to apply the following solutions to resolve this issue.
Here are multiple ways to fix the internet disconnects when downloading heavy files:
Check Cables On Your Router & Devices
Before you apply any of the following technical solutions, I advise you to check the cables on your Router and Devices.
There are chances that your internet is disconnected frequently due to broken or damaged cables.
If your Router and Device’s cable is damaged or broken, make sure to replace it as quickly as possible.
Notably, your Router must be online and connected to your modem, which should be connected to your Ethernet port.
If you have already replaced your Router and Device’s cable but continue to encounter the same error then apply the following solutions to fix the issue.
Use Download Manager
The best and easiest way to resolve the internet disconnects while downloading a large file is using a Download Manager.
If you are having a hard time finding the best download manager for PC then check out the following list:
- Internet Download Manager
- Free Download Manager
- Internet Download Accelerator
The best thing about using these Download Manager is they increase downloading speed and discover the lost packets in no time.
Use Torrent Files
If you want to get rid of the internet disconnect when downloading large files problem, you should consider using Torrent files for large files.
For the uninformed, Torrent is a peer-to-peer data exchange protocol which allows you to download your files from users who have already downloaded them.
Opt For Mirror Sites
If you continue to encounter the same error then you can use mirror sites to resolve the issue.
Notably, mirrors are duplicates of existing sites with a brand new URL.
When you visit a mirror site, you will get an option to download the same file from a different path.
There are numerous users who claimed to have resolved this issue by using this method.
Since the path of this file is different from the original file, you would not encounter any issue downloading heavy files from mirror sites.
Reboot Your Modem, Router & PC
If you have been using wifi for days or months, you must have noticed that your router often gets disconnected from your service provider’s network.
If your router or modem is disconnected from your service provider’s network, you are bound to encounter this issue on your PC.
Fortunately, this error can be fixed by simply rebooting your Router, Modem or PC.
If rebooting your Router, Modem or PC does not work, you will need to perform a hard factory reset to resolve the issue.
Do you know how to perform a hard factory reset? If not then follow the steps written below:
- First, turn Off your Router.
- Once done, press and hold the WPS button and then turn it ON.
- Make sure to hold the WPS button until the Router is ON.
- Once the light stops flashing, your Router will automatically be rebooted.
- That’s it.
Use A Server That Has Better Response Time
The majority of people don’t know but having a server with a better response time could prevent you from encountering the internet disconnect when downloading heavy files.
If you select a server that does not have enough upload capacity, you are most likely to encounter this issue.
Update Modem’s Firmware
If your router’s signal is weak and it does not have the latest features, there are chances that your internet will be disconnected while downloading large files.
If that’s the case then don’t worry, you can fix it by using the latest Firmware.
Do you know how to update Modem’s firmware?
If your answer is NO then follow the steps written below:
- First, connect your Router to PC using Wifi or Ethernet Cable.
- Once connected, open a browser and enter your router’s IP address in the URL section. (Make sure to enter the right IP as it is different for each brand)
- Once entered, head to the Management section, which could appear as Advanced Settings, Utilities, Maintainance or Administration depending on your device.
- Once you get there, locate the Firmware or Router Upgrade button and press it.
- Once updated, try to download a heavy file and see if the error remains.
Flush DNS On Your Router And Renew Your IP Address
If you have not flushed your DNS yet then I advise you to flush DNS on your Router and renew your IP address.
Flushing DNS will not only clear your IP address but other DNS records as well.
If you don’t know how to flush DNS on your Router then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press the Windows + R button to open up the Run box.
- Once it is opened, type cmd into the Open Field.
- When you do so, the command prompt window will appear on the screen.
- Now, type ‘ipcofig/flushdns’ and hit the Enter button.
- When you do so, a message will appear on the screen saying ‘Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache’.
- That’s it.
Use A Wired Ethernet Connection
When it comes to using the Internet, I always suggest you use Ethernet cable instead of Wifi.
The reason why I always suggest using Ethernet Cable over Wifi is faster, safe and secure.
If you are having the internet disconnect when downloading large files, try using a wired Ethernet cable.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into your PC.
- The other end of the Ethernet cable into your Router.
- Now, wait until your Wifi icon turns into a PC icon.
- Once done, try to download a heavy file and see if the error remains.
- That’s it.
Use VPN When downloading Large Files
There are some countries where you are not allowed to download files from certain websites for security and legal reasons.
If you are having the same issue then I advise you to use VPN to bypass restrictions.
All you need to do is download a safe VPN and set it to a country where the website is not restricted.
Once done, visit that website and download the desired file without any hassle.
Uninstall/Reinstall The Drivers
If none of the above-mentioned methods works then the last thing you can do is uninstall and reinstall the drivers.
Do you know how to do it? If No then follow the steps written below:
- First, press the Windows button and type Device Manager and open it.
- Once it is opened, select the ‘Disk Manager’.
- Right-click on the driver and select ‘Properties’.
- In a new window, you will have to click on the ‘Events’ tab and check all the necessary information.
- Now, go to Device Manufacturer and enter these data to get the latest updates.
- Now, head back to the Device Manager and click on the Driver and Select ‘Uninstall’.
- Once uninstalled, you will have to install the latest version of the driver.
- That’s it.
These are some easy ways to fix the internet disconnects when downloading large files in 2022.